Tuesday, March 27, 2012

That gosh darn squash soup.

Picture this: I dash into the Davis Center marketplace after two consecutive classes, too hungry to function.  I maneuver carelessly through the hoards of sluggish Tuesday morning biddies in line for salads.  I'm heading for the sandwich station, when some small hunch made me switch directions completely and head over to the soups (knocking over someone in the Capers line in the process).  Obviously, I'm a reckless force when something comes between me and lunch.  At the soup counter, I was immediately drawn to the butternut squash and barley soup.  I may have even whooped aloud in excitement.  There are little signs posted next to each soup with allergen information the sign for the butternut squash barley soup said: vegan, vegetarian, nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free.  PERF.


With purchase in hand, I wandered around aimlessly looking for an empty table.  In the duration of this aimless wandering, a sudden thought occurred to me, zonking me right between the eyes with a big ol' DUH.  Barley is most definitely NOT gluten free.  And with that realization, I felt dumb and disappointed and still ravenously hungry.  Marketplace marked the soup wrong and I was too distracted to notice.  So I was in a bit of a pickle.  I couldn't eat it (okay, I might've tried a few bites, but THAT'S IT), but the whole point of this blog is based around people throwing food away.  So, I offered it to people, but no one seemed too keen on taking soup from a stranger.  Which is understandable.  I look questionable and maybe even threatening, I know.  So I ended up throwing it away.  Gosh darn it, I'm a hypocrite.  Oops.

So then I walked back into the marketplace, bent on revenge, or at least a free cup of soup.  I got neither.  My angry drive for justice kind of just slackened and I ended up just getting a different kind of soup and paying for it normally.  White bean and vegetable.  Meh.  Still good, but definitely no comparison to the awe-inducing wonderfulness that is butternut squash.  I'll save my murderous vengeance for a more significant opportunity, I guess.

So, moral of the story: don't buy soup you can't eat, and don't waste an hour of your day being annoyed and disappointed over something as trivial as soup.  It's not worth it.  Basically, don't be like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment