Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bananas! And pizza! And shitty popcorn!

I'm afraid I've eaten myself into a bit of a stupor tonight.  Opportunities just kept arising!  First, started off with a normal dinner-- a SimpySomp market salad.  Meh, whatever.  Then, the theme of Bite Club tonight was banana ice cream.  And not just any banana ice cream-- ONE INGREDIENT BANANA ICE CREAM.  I'll let you take a wild guess as to what that one ingredient is.  (In case you're drooling, here's the recipe).  It was amahhhhhhzang.  Tasted like a banana creemee, but with a fraction of the ingredients and much much much healthier.  We also experimented with cocoa powder for a chocolate-banana ice cream, which was just as fantastic (except for that little part about me giving up chocolate for lent.  Oops).


But wait!  There's more!  Then came a dorm floor meeting to meet our new RA.  To bribe us into liking her (just kidding, she's great), she bought pizza.  And one of them was gluten-free and vegan.  I honestly heard a hallelujah chorus at the sight of that thing.  I've been craving pizza pretty much ever since I went gluten-free...and whaddaya know!


So that's the end of this food night, but while I'm here I might as well talk about last night's...interesting...snack.  I found a bag of unpopped popcorn still in it's plastic wrapper in the trash a few weeks ago and decided to break it out.  After about a minute in the microwave, something started smelling really weird.  Like, really weird....like someone had set fire to a rubber tire and then dumped a margarita on it.  I had to hold my nose as I opened the bag and tried to figure out what had gone awry. You'll never guess what flavor it was.


LIME AND SALT, THAT'S WHAT.

And it smelled a whole lot worse than it tasted.  Actually, it was pretty good.  I don't blame whoever trashed it though-- I can see how it wouldn't be all that popular.  So I enjoyed it while it lasted, and then 15 minutes later, I had just sat down to write a paper when this weird aftertaste hit.  It tasted like a combination of metallic-y/copper and rubber.  It was absolutely disgusting and I had to brush my teeth twice before I could even think about functioning as a normal human being.  For this reason, I do NOT recommend this flavor.  In fact, it's barf-worthy.  HOWEVER, lime tortilla chips?  Friggin' magical.


No comments:

Post a Comment