Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bucket-O-Spuds

This morning, my roommate Mady and I decided to do something completely new and unheard of in our precisely routined lives: spontaneously head out for an ungodly early breakfast.  We walked downtown to Penny Cluse, the cutest little breakfast/lunch diner you ever did see.  It's so popular with locals and tourists that the wait is usually ridiculous-- anywhere from half an hour to over two hours.  Mady and I got there around 7am right after it opened, so it was filling up quickly, but we managed to snag window seats behind 3 shouting guys in fancy suits and in front of a woman with one heck of a death glare.  Eh, we'll take what we can get.

After the first once-over of the menu, I felt like crying.  Literally everything that caught my eye was something super duper gluten-y.  After a quick moment of self-pity, I got back to it and started figuring out other options.  And lo and behold!  If you stare long enough, delicious things start appearing out of the woodwork...err, the laminated cardstock.


I ended up getting the blueberry-banana smoothie (made with soymilk and honey instead of yogurt) and some simple over-hard eggs-- relatively inexpensive and gosh dern mutha truckin' straw slurpin' baby kickin' delicious. 


Mady got adventurous and ordered the cinnamon raisin french toast with strawberries.  YUMMMMM.  It looked AMAZING and I don't even like french toast.  This place is just a big ol' win.

I give it 9 out of 10 stars.

(It woulda been 8 because of the humongo wait times, but the "bucket-o-spuds" item on the menu boosted it up a point.  Anything that has the word "bucket" in the title makes me laugh.  I also love the use of a plain ol' vowel to shorten down a word.  And I love that they used the word "spuds" instead of "potatoes."  I wonder if it comes in an actual bucket.  If it didn't, I would probably be a tad disappointed....  From the way I'm going on about it so much, you're probably wondering why i didn't just order the damn thing.  I'm wondering that too...)

No comments:

Post a Comment