Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bread Experimentation!

A loaf of Rudi's cinnamon raisin gluten-free bread has been sitting in the freezer for a few days waiting for me to work up the chutzpah to crack it open.  My mom beat me to it and happily munched it with some peanut butter.  Nothing seemed amiss-- in fact, it looked downright promising.


It was less than pleasant.  Pretty disgusting, actually.  I managed to choke down the whole slice, but... *shudder.*  


(To emphasize the truly horrible taste of gluten-free bread, I'm borrowing a barf cartoon from this great throw-up blog.  Who doesn't love some good cartoon vomming?!)

...Okay, I'm exaggerating.  It wasn't that bad.  But bad enough that I wouldn't want to try it again for a while.  I know there are other brands and flavors and yadda yadda, but Imma give it a break for a week or two.  According to the "gluten-free goddess" in her how to go gluten-free blog post, your taste buds need time to adjust to the taste of gluten-free ingredients that replace flour.  She suggests waiting a few weeks before you really break into the world of gluten replacements.  So I guess I'll do just that.

I've heard good things about Udi's and Ezekiel bread.  Just because my first experience with gluten-free replacement bread wasn't the greatest doesn't mean my next one will be bad too!  I remain hopeful, though cautious.  We'll see how long it takes me to get back in the canoe...err, however that saying goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment