Sunday, March 4, 2012

I'm the definition of DIFFICULT.

Well, everyone, looks like the end of the world has come a bit early.  I'm going gluten and dairy-free.  I went to a naturopath doctor's appointment today and she recommended a diet change and some other stuff to help with some health problems I've been having.  I was all gung ho and ready to swear off bread forever, until my mom and I walked into a restaurant and I realized just how hard it was going to be.

Now, I'm kind of a picky eater at restaurants to begin with.  Add in the gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian factors, and I'm a high-maintenance pain in the butt.  After asking an extensive amount of questions and just generally being obnoxious, I ordered the vegetarian burrito without the burrito part, so it was rice and beans with veggies and salsa.  It was so so good.  I give Moog's Place an 8 out of 11.  (It's on Portland St. in Morrisville.  If you've never been, imma drag your ass there and order you some potato skins and then watch your taste buds spaz out).

And then, my mom and I asked for dessert.  Which was even more obnoxious.  I told the waiter about my gluten-freeness and that I had given up chocolate for lent.  He laughed and said that pretty much knocked off every dessert choice they had, unless I wanted a plain scoop of vanilla ice cream.  I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm dairy-free too.  HAHAHAHA, I'M SO DIFFICULT.



We ended up ordering the gluten-free chocolate lava cake.
And it was so worth it.
Lent got put on hold for tonight.


My lovely mother.  


Also, a few nights ago, my good bearded friend Zach came to my dorm floor and handed out chocolates, Santa Claus style.  He had gone dumpster diving at the Lake Champlain Chocolates factory and scored pretty darn hard.  Hundreds of little caramel-filled, flower-shaped, bite-sized chocolates.  I somehow managed to avoid the chocolate persuasion, but don't ask me how.  It was a miracle.  I started drooling, just thinking about it.

 Seductive chocolate-eating.  Who could resist that?



6 comments:

  1. Caney, going dairy free is so hard. My friend Michelle and I tried it for a week...it was tough. We would allow foods with minor amounts of dairy, like if at the dining halls they sprinkled cheese on something we'd allow it but never ask for it or order it. I think going dairy free is much harder than going meat free.
    Good luck...I advise brown rice, gluten free something with peanut butter, and a lot of fruits and salads.
    You may want to look into chia seeds as well, I'll probably blog about them soon.
    Best,
    trev
    (and zack would seductively eat chocolate, which is all good until one eats one of the aztec pieces of chocolate with cayanne pepper in it!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm a bit apprehensive about figuring out what I can and cannot eat. I think the only problem I'm going to have with dairy is giving up greek yogurt--it's a staple food for me. And as for chia seeds, the doctor told me to mix ground flax or pumpkin seeds into my food, so you're right on it!

      My mom and I just went and explored all the gluten-free options at the grocery store. I think it's gonna be do-able.

      Delete
    2. I wish you the best of luck with this diet. I hope you understand that this means the amount of food you can eat from the trash is now limited. You can give it away, bring it places, but for yourself to eat it there is limited options...Rice cakes....I don't know.
      Also, you can see the dietitian for free at uvm. there is one at CWPS and on Pearl St. I went to the one on Pearl during my free resources kick! She was really helpful!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CANEY WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO EAT?!?!??!

    ReplyDelete