Thursday, March 15, 2012

That one time when I ate weird candy for dinner and didn't even know it and wouldn't let myself regret it because it was so fucking good.

Hello, friends and acquaintances!  This post is going to talk about how my love for dining hall food was inevitably smooshed upon the realization that all my old Simpson hall stand-bys contain that sneaky gluten.  No more vegan chili, cereal mash-ups, banana bread, crunchy little Chinese salad-topper thingies... It was a sad state of affairs.  I felt lost in a sea of delicious food I'm not supposed to eat.

But guess what!  There's something I had forgotten about!  That I always overlooked!  That something happens to be a gluten-free section!  And it was great!  Sorta!

Okay, enough exclamations.  But seriously, at first glance, the gluten-free section was pretty good.  It felt like a secret club that I had somehow been initiated into and therefore given access to all the great stuff.  It was located almost directly inside the kitchen, not visible from where everyone else was getting food.  So secretive.
The first thing I tried was a sesame-honey bar and it felt like the angelic voices of the Vienna Boys' Choir breaking into Ave Maria inside my mouth.  I might've eaten 3 of those before even thinking about trying something else.


And then there was some Udi's granola, Udi's gluten-free cookies and yogurt-covered raisins, as well as a couple different kinds of cereal that all pretty much tasted the same: airy and puffy and rice-base-y.  The granola tasted exactly like graham crackers (weird, but acceptable) and Shannon tried the yogurt-covered raisins, but had to spit them out because they tasted like barf.  I didn't see any bread or pasta, but...whatever.  I'm good to go as long as they have those honey sesame bars.

Okay, side-note: I just googled how to make honey sesame bars and it's mind bogglingly easy.  There are only two ingredients... I'm gonna give you one guess as to what they are.  Basically, you toast the sesame seeds a little, mix it with the honey, bring the mixture to a boil, pour it in a pan, cut it up, and freeze it.  I CAN DO THAT.  I'M DOING THAT.  LIKE, TOMORROW.  Oh, and it's considered candy, which is probably why it tasted so good.  Great, I just ate candy for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment