Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Possibly the best thing I've ever found in the garbage...

Right on the heels of last nights' ridiculous trash find, came ANOTHER ridiculous trash find.  A BIKE TUBE.  Most people would see a discarded bike tube and be like, "daaaang, what a bummer for whoever can't ride their bike anymore."  But not me.  I was like "THANK YOU, TRASH GODS, FOR THIS EXCELLENT GIFT."  So so so so so sosososososoooo excited.


Last semester, I did a lot of volunteering with Bike Recycle VT (learn more about it HERE), making jewelry out of old, unusable bike parts.  We made earrings out of bike tires and tubes, bracelets out of spokes, necklaces out of little thingamajiggers, etc etc.

Here's a basic pair of feather earrings made from a bike tube.  SO SO easy to make.

This is a bracelet made from a bike spoke...not so easy to make.  In fact, I never quite mastered it.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy this semester to keep volunteering every week (maybe you should check it out! Go make stuff!), so I stocked up on some extra materials to keep crafting on my own.  After a few weeks, those ran out and I've been deprived of jewelry-making materials for a while.  So get ready for an onslaught of more feather earrings, y'all.  I can make a LOT of jewelry with one bike tube... let the crafting begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment