Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cascarones, Ke$ha, and a Big Ol' Mess.

I suppose the point of having a themed blog is to write posts that stick to that theme...it's only logical, right?  Well, I refuse to follow my own theme.  This post is about Easter and if you don't like it, you can go suck an egg.  (See what I did there?  Eggs?  'Cause it's Easter?  Get it? HAHAHAH)

Here's a quick list of things that I love.
1) Easter eggs.
2) Confetti and glitter and all things shiny that make a huge mess.
3) Walloping people with objects that (hopefully) won't do any damage.  Example: sponges, pillows, cats, etc.
4) Time-consuming crafts that keep me entertained and busy for the better part of a Saturday afternoon.

You're probably wondering what these things have in common...

WELL, lemme tell ya about a weird-ass European tradition that has just recently been gathering popularity in the US-- you hollow out eggs and then fill them with confetti.  Then, you smash them on people's heads to bring good luck.  They're called "cascarones."  I don't really understand why or how this came about, but hey, if I can smash stuff and make it rain glitter, I can't complain.  This is quite possibly the most genius combination of concepts I've ever encountered.

Step 1: Empty out the egg.  Knock out a little hole on the larger end and then use something thin and pointy to break up the yolk to help it come out easier.  I suggest a kabob stick.


Step 2: Rinse out your hollow egg so there's no leftover spoodge.  No one wants spoodgey confetti in their hair.  Amiright?!


Step 2.5: Here in the Demars household, there is no half-assing the egg decoration.  Yes, dying the eggs is a must, but that's boring.  They need some personality.  Some chutzpuh.  Some flavaa.  You can skip this step because it takes forever and eggs are hard to draw on.  Whatever.  


Step 3: Color those eggs because they're boring and plain!  White eggs are an insult to Jesus!  ....


Step 4: Admire your beautiful eggs.  But don't sit on them.  Look with your eyes, not with your butt.


Step 5: Fill those babies with confetti.  Grab a funnel or a rolled up piece of paper and go to town.  (Side story: When I asked my dad where I could go buy some confetti, he was like, "Oh, I think I have some."  Literally just reached over and handed me a bag of glitter that had been lying on his desk underneath some papers.  So typical.  Thanks, Dad).


Step 5.5: Mash the confetti through the funnel with something.  You could probably use that kabob stick you used in step 1.  Oh, and fill those suckers about 2/3 full.


Step 6: SMASH 'EM!  I suggest you do it outside.


I'm going to be finding this stuff in my hair for weeks.

Made quite a mess.  Worth it.



And there you have it, folks.  Easter shenanigans.  The confetti got EVERYWHERE.  In my hair, my shirt, my pants, on my dog, tracked all over the house, EVERYWHERE.  It felt like we were in a Kesha music video.  Except less skanky.  

No comments:

Post a Comment