Monday, May 28, 2012

That time I wiped out in public carrying 5,000 books.

Man, I've been seriously slacking on blogging.  Whooooopsiedoo.  Anyway.

Every year, Memorial Day is a huge event at the Demars household, but probably not for the reason you'd think...  Memorial Day marks the official beginning of yard-sale season.  And you know me-- I friggin' LOVE other people's old junk.  In previous years, we'd cruise around for hours stopping at sale after sale. One year, my stupid parents made other plans during the prime yard-saling hours and I remember sulking around being pissy and making life difficult because I was so upset about missing the beginning of the season.  Obviously, yard saling is not something to be joked about.  IT'S SERIOUS.  It's practically an art.

Unfortunately, this weekend was a bit different-- I had to work and didn't get around to doing the yard sale rounds.  Sad times in Caney land.  BUT, the one redeeming factor in missing the prime sales is finding the free piles the day after.  


I was taking a walk, lost in my own little world of sidewalks and dodging stray cats when all of a sudden I came across a HUMONGO blanket full of books.  A ton of them were of the crappy chick lit genre I'm so addicted to, but I did pick up quite a few others as well.  The pile was only about a quarter mile from my house, thank goodness, because there is NO WAY I could've carried that stack further.  I started on my way, only to wipe out and drop everything.  I don't think anyone saw it, but there were probably a bunch of elderly people peeking out from behind their curtains laughing.  That happened not once, but twice on the five minute walk back.  No shame.

It was worth it, though.  I'd fall down in public any day for a stack o' new reading material.

No comments:

Post a Comment