Sunday, August 4, 2013

Caney vs. Annmarie Food-off

Tonight I brought a big bunch of kale and a can of chick peas to work with me.  Since the hotel is usually pretty slow Sunday nights, I had time to do a bit of cooking! And by cooking, I mean tossing a bunch of crap on a pan, dowsing it in olive oil, and shoving it in the oven for 20 minutes.

We have a couple of Jamaican housekeepers at the hotel. One of them eats nothing but fried chicken and bagels while the other one is less picky and does a lot more cooking.  We are night and day different-- Annmarie eats only one or two big meals a day and I graze all day long.  She incorporates meat into every meal, and I definitely do not.  She doesn't really understand what gluten free means and the fact that I try to stay away from dairy.  We're an interesting pair and it's especially interesting when we start talking food.

The other day, Annmarie and Annisha tried my banana flax seed crackers and had to spit them out. Later that night, they made me this (see picture below) to show me "what real food is." They were a little bit vague about what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was pork.  The main ingredient in the sauce was ketchup.  As an experimental vegetarian, this was really pushing my limits, but I tried it and ended up making a pretty good dent in it. It was...interesting. Not disgusting, but not something I'd want to try again.


Tonight was my turn to give her something new to try. I made kale chips, one of my favorite snacks this summer.  



Her first reaction, "HOOOO, what is THAT?!"


"Ohhh lord."


"Caney, I'm throwing this in the trash now."


So, she hated them. But I love that she was willing to try. Sometime this week she's going to make Jamaican coconut rice and peas for me. I'm thinking I might make her a black bean burger... But in the meantime, I'll be enjoying the rest of this pan of kale chips. ALL MINE.


1 comment:

  1. Kale Chips!!! They are awesome.. however, i'm always scared of over or undercooking them.

    ReplyDelete